Knock, Knock! You may not particularly take note of your front door every time you enter and leave your home, but it may be time to take a closer look at this very important part of your home. Your front door does more than just protect you from the outdoors – it welcomes guests as the first impression to your house, offers protection and is an expression of your personal style. But how do you know when it’s time to replace your front entry door? We have a few pointers on what to look out for in your older, existing entry door to see if it’s time to upgrade:
1. Drafts are an obvious sign that a door needs to be replaced. When the seals around a door age, they can shrink and even crack over time. If you’re wondering why your house gets so cold at night, check each of your entry doors around the house for cold air leaks.
2. Squeaky hinges are a cry for help! Maintenance and oiling can only do so much for aged hinges. Worn hinges indicate that the actual door may not be in working shape much longer either, and loose hinges mean your door could easily be forced open.
3. If you notice visible cracks in your front door, you shouldn’t wait another day to call the home improvement experts at Gerald Jones Company. Not only do cracks let in pesky bugs and drafts, but this means your old door is structurally weak, which poses a serious safety concern for you and your family.
4. If your entry door scrapes the floor or if it requires serious muscle to open or close it, it is time for a new one. Old doors can warp, swell or sag, causing damage to your floor every time you pass through the doorway. Patio doors that scrape or stick in their tracks should also be checked.
5. Your door is out of style. If guests compliment the “vintage” look of your front door but that wasn’t your intention, it may be a sign you need to bring your door up to date with a more modern look. Upgrading your front door is one the simplest home improvement decisions, and offers plenty of bang for your buck, with steel replacement doors recouping up to 140% of their cost in the Chapel Hill area!
If any of the above items describe your front door, then it’s time for a front door upgrade. Gerald Jones Company is a full-service home remodeling contractor in Durham, NC and servicing Chapel Hill, Raleigh, and the surrounding areas. We specialize in replacement entry door selection and installation, and have a variety of options for you to choose from to make the best possible statement for your home’s entryway. For more than 60 years, we have helped families in the Triangle area find happiness and comfort in their new doors:
“Just had a new front door installed by Gerald Jones! 1st class job… quality craftsmanship with installation. Everyone from Todd to the young man who installed our door – very professional people! If you need any type work done – don’t waste your time getting several bids… Gerald Jones Co. will give you a great job with a fair price!” – David R.
Call us today for a free estimate for your beautiful, sturdy, new front door! (919)286-1700